Monday, November 3, 2014

Nancy's Banana Bread


My kids had a serious addiction to Eggo frozen waffles. They were eating them four at a time. As we were trying to clean up our own eating, this seemed like something that had to go too. Lots of processed, lots of 16 letter words in the ingredients. Ideally, they would want some fruit or eggs in replacement. But you know things just aren't ideal most of the time. So we compromised with my mother in law, Nancy's, banana bread. It is closer to a cake than health food, but I can pronounce all the ingredients!

Nancy's Banana Bread

1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 brown bananas (This is important - they need to be over-ripe. When they are getting too brown, I put them in the freezer to save for when I am making bread. If you get them out at the same time as you take out the butter, both will be ready at the same time.)
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
(chopped nuts optional)

Turn the oven on to 350. Cream the butter and sugar together. Then add eggs and bananas and mix. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.

Grease an 8x4 loaf pan with butter. Add the bread mix. Put in the oven for 55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

For my oven, I find if I start to preheat and put in the bread as soon as it is ready, even if the oven is not up to 350, it takes exactly 55 minutes.

Whenever I bake it, the kids say how great it smells, to which I reply, cake usually does!

1 comment:

  1. that's exactly the same recipe I use. Sometimes I toss in a shake of nutmeg or cinnamon. I might add nuts or chocolate chips. it's always good due to the butter.

    ReplyDelete