Wednesday, March 2, 2011

All the Small Things

In writing this blog, I feel sure that I can't document every meal or snack our family eats. It would be a little time consuming, not to mention, that level of minutia would lose me the dozen or so readers along for the ride. So I'm going to cover what is generally going on at the meals I am not writing about on a regular basis.

Breakfast
We are about the least creative family EVER in this department. Tim has oatmeal with nuts and raisins. Every. Single. Day.  The kids have cereal, cinnamon bread, or home made bread (we'll get to that recipe soon!) As for me, I'm a big fan of peanut butter toast or (if I have time) eggs. But that's about it. Very predictable.

Snacks
All those granola bars and goldfish? You betcha. We're all big fans of fruit for snacks too. [And chocolate. But that's not a snack, right? That's dessert.]

Lunch
During the school week, the kids really, really hate change in their lunch. They also despise school lunches. So I pack them almost the same thing every day. Boring, but what they want. The girls have bacon or a peanut butter sandwich, an apple (or another piece of fruit), pretzels, and veggies (baby carrots, sweet peppers, and grape tomatoes.) Eion is close to the same but he prefers 2 gogurts rather than the bacon/peanut butter sandwich option.

Now if you are looking to be cheap, you can't package all these components into ziplocs. We have a wide variety of (well used) Rubermaid containers.

I also use the outer plastic bags from store bought loaves of bread. This practice was much maligned by the children until I told them flat out, if your father, the Doctor, can pack his lunch in reused bread bags, so can you. Remember children, we are the freaks.

Tim and I are big leftovers for lunch fans if we are home. When Tim has to work, I pack him some sandwiches or a few of those Rubbermaid boxes of brown rice and some sort of protein. I love leftover lunches because they feel almost free. And so very garde manger.

2 comments:

  1. Same for us when it comes to breakfast and lunch. I will splurge on the weekends with pancakes, eggs and bacon if we are not going to a sport event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. something fun, if you're ever looking to upgrade the Rubbermaid:

    www.laptoplunches.com

    I also think they would be much envied by schoolyard buddies and dr buddies! (Though it would kill the abilty to use those bread bags..

    ReplyDelete