Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Perfect Burger - Dinner Wednesday

I'm always somewhat surprised at how few people/restaurants know how to make a really good burger. So let's go through the steps now! 

Take your ground chuck (Use sirloin if you want, but it doesn't taste as good. C'mon people you only live once.) and measure out the number of burgers you need 2/3 cup measuring cups. Is it important to measure them out fairly precisely? Only if you want them to cook evenly and be done at the same time. Not to mention, the 2/3 measurement fits most standard buns perfectly.

Anyway, shape into burgers and salt liberally with kosher salt. 


As far as cooking goes, I am, as ever, a fan of the grill. I get it hot as I can and then cook the burgers on full heat with the lid open. Important! Only flip once. When are they done? I go by sight but generally, my grill takes about 15-20 minutes.

As a side, we are having a Maggie favorite - roasted cauliflower. First, preheat the oven to 450 with your pan in the oven. Cut the cauliflower into small florets. In a bowl, coat with olive oil. Bake until golden delicious and then salt to your taste.


And now the cost:

$5.90 Ground Beef
$2.00 Cauliflower (I think - we had this from last week's grocery run. But I'm not sure. Part of the reason we're doing this.)
$0.83 Buns
$8.73 Total

We'll just go ahead and round up to $9 (for the olive oil and salt) which brings us to $1.80 per person. And best yet, we had a burger and a half left over for lunch the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment