Thursday, March 10, 2011

Pork Tenderloin & Mac and Cheese

It was raining (again) today so I was in the mood for some comfort food. I went with pork tenderloin and mac and cheese. Neither is very hard and really hit the spot. For the pork tenderloin, I rubbed some dijon mustard on it and coated it with a mix of fresh breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. 


The pasta & cheese (as I didn't use macaroni, I figure I need some truth in advertising) was a bit more complicated so I recommend having it done first and both can go in the oven together. 

Boil salted water to make the pasta (1 pound.) While the pasta is cooking, make a 1/2 batch of bechamel sauce. When it is done, add about 4-5 ounces shredded cheddar cheese. Add salt and cayenne pepper to taste. Then combine with cooked, drained pasta and put in a souffle pan or small baking dish.



Put both the pasta and pork in a 350 degree oven and bake until pork has an internal temperature of 155 and the pasta is fully baked. Fully baked is completely subjective, of course. I left mine in for an extra 5 minutes after I pulled the pork because I like it extra bake-y.

The financials:

$2.26 Pasta and cheese
$7.26 Pork
$0.93 Broccoli

$10.45 Total ($2.09 per person)

The whole family ate plus we have several servings of pork and pasta left over. Now, based on some of the initial reactions I got, I might have titled this post "Epic Fail." Maggie came down, surveyed dinner and said, "I thought we were having left over pizza." In the end, she was won over by the pasta. None of the kids much cared for the breading but they scraped it off. Broccoli was the only item well received by all. Go figure.

I feel I should also note here that my mac and cheese was roughly 3.7 times more expensive than Kraft mac and cheese. That being said, mine is way better and doesn't contain sodium tripolyphosphate, yellow #5 or yellow #6.

No comments:

Post a Comment